I purchased two of the Platypus Hoser hydration systems and it certain provides a reliable service.
It holds a decent amount of water (1L, 1.8L, 2L, and 3L models available), is free of annoying plastic taste, and collapses to a small packet when drained.
I was easily able to place the Platypus Hoser pack inside the water pocket on an already owned backpack. Plus, the water hose is easy to clip to an outside surface of the backpack for quick access. Certain hydration systems need a while to prime, but with this model, there was no issues and the water started to flow in a matter of seconds.
In my option, the hydration pack is perfect for those planning a hiking trip. It is a great alternative to using standard water bottles. Plus, it is really easy to clean and maintain.
Table of Contents
- BPA and plastic taste free
- Dual-layer and tough construction
- Given antimicrobial treatment
- Accepts closure caps/Platy drinks, etc. via the threaded outlet
- Easy to customize with Platypus accessories
- Polyethylene and Polyurethane construction
- Size: 1 liter Weight (13.5 x 29 cm), 1.8 liter Weight (17 x 29 cm), 2 liter Weight (15 x 40.5 cm), and 3 liter Weight (18 x 42 cm)
A versatile and classic styled water bladder, the Platypus Hoser provides complete simplicity and is insanely durable. It has a hanging hook which is a practical addition, if ever needed to hang the pack (for filtering, pouring water, storage, etc). Plus, it has an alligator clip that isn’t made in the strongest material, but still a great part of the overall system.
A negative I noticed often when researching this pack related to the common complaint of a plastic taste on the first two or three goes. However, this wasn’t the case for me and I didn’t notice any plastic taste and the first outing and thereafter.
Plus, I didn’t notice any leaks in the backpack after traveling over difficult terrain for several days, which was an issue I was particularly concerned with.
This is a great hydration pack, but a particular niggle with the device is the bite value which isn’t as efficient as those on the
Bestseller CamelBak models
Also, a further thing that isn’t the best is the time it takes to completely dry out the bladder pack. The small opening means I’m not able to use anything to help dry the bladder, so it needs to be left out to dry to avoid issues with mold.
- Holds a lot of water (make sure to purchase the right size pack)
- Easy to use
- Releases no rubbery taste
- HyperFlow bite valve
- Cleaning the bladder
- Lacks a cap for the dispenser (often picks up dirt if put down)
- Can take time to become familiar with using the bite valve